The West Deptford Energy Station is a $1.5 billion redevelopment project involving construction of a dual-fuel (natural gas and ultra-low sulfur diesel) combined-cycle power plant with a nominal electric generating capacity of 1,250 megawatts. With the start of construction projected for 2010, development is proposed on a 303-acre site located along the Delaware River and within 1.5 miles of utility right-of-way. The project requires interconnection with regional utility infrastructure, including natural gas pipeline(s), electric transmission lines, and wastewater utility pipes associated with Gloucester County Utilities Authority operations.
Marathon is assisting West Deptford Energy, LLC by providing professional engineering and environmental services required to secure local, state, and federal land development approvals. Marathon’s engineering department prepared a comprehensive site plan set for the project that was approved by the West Deptford Township Planning Board as part of the Preliminary and Final Site Plan Approvals issued in September 2008. Working with various members of the project team, including Marathon’s environmental staff and other engineering firms, Marathon’s engineering department designed the project layout, grading, stormwater management plan, utilities plan, and soil erosion & sediment control plan.
Marathon’s environmental department assisted throughout the due diligence and design processes by performing the following services:
- wetlands delineation for the entire project site (including utility easements), encompassing roughly 325 acres;
- wetlands Letter of Interpretation (Line Verification) Application that was approved by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (“NJDEP”);
- bald eagle habitat suitability assessment;
- Environmental Impact Statement submitted to West Deptford Township;
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment;
- multiple-permit application that resulted in the NJDEP’s approval of a Waterfront Development Permit, Freshwater Wetlands General Permits, and Freshwater Wetlands Transition Area Waivers;
- Nationwide Permit application submitted to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers; and,
- site inspections to identify environmental constraints (i.e., wetlands, threatened/endangered species habitat, flood hazard areas, etc.) within approximately 1.6 miles of regional utility easements.
Client: West Deptford Energy, LLC
A joint venture between Dynegy Inc. and
LS Power Associates, L.P.
Two Tower Center Boulevard, 11th Floor
East Brunswick, New Jersey 08816
Matthew J. Held (732) 249-6750
Period of Performance:
2007 to present
Rick Ricciardi, P.P., AICP
Thomas P. Béchard, Jr., P.E.
Robert L. Carter, Jr.